Thursday, September 19, 2013

Ahoy mateys! Yo ho ho, it is talk like a Pirate Day!

Yo ho ho mateys! After a few days of standardized testing and assessing our cognitive abilities, I decided to offer my young shipmates a chance to play around like pirates today. Of course, my blogging friend Bethany deserves lots of credit for the inspiration, instead of talking in passing, I embraced the day and made some activities for my little mates. Thank you Bethany for the reminder to seize the day and have fun like a pirate!
Check out Bethany's blog for her awesome events today and links to the other shenanigans around the shipyard.
This morning the pirates aboard my ship were sent on a mission to find a pirate partner. Then they received the "message in a bottle" in which they had to do some decoding. The fun Hello font by Jennifer Jones required some serious map work since some of the characters are very similar.  Always Love Me a chance to encourage common sense thinking! Love me more a chance to ask, "Does that makey sense?"


The secret message let them know that today was "Talk Like a Pirate" day and they should study their spelling words in their best indoor pirate voice.
I was really impressed with the teamwork to unveil the message and the quiet pirate practice. Too bad me was out of gold, they certainly needed some booty rewards!

To continue on our mission to find some pirate fun,  the kids got some time to spend with a few pirate mates while practice with their decimals.
They played a quick pirate math game on a quest to be first to unbury the treasure.

Using a treasure map as a game board, they took turns saying decimal numbers in their best pirate voices and wrote decimals in expanded form. They also compared some decimals and shivered me timbers finding equivalents. All were spared from walking the plank, and had fun speaking pirate math.
Want to join in the pirate fun? No booty necessary, download the game for free from my TPT treasure box, don't forget to shiver me timbers by leaving some pirate love!

After a week riding the rough seas, this was a fun way to learn. It was great seeing the kids, almost too cool for school, working together and having some yo ho ho fun!

Don't worry, there is still plenty of pirate booty to be found! Try it tomorrow with some of the great ideas linked up at Bethany's pirate party!
Thanks to "My Cute Graphics" for the cute pirate pictures and Jennifer Jones "Hello Fonts" for the fun characters and pirate font! Love the circle from Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah Designs.  Thank you to Bethany for the cute Pirate Party picture.

What sort of treasure did you explore today?

4 comments:

  1. I'm so excited. I just scooped up your Pirate Math game. I don't care that Talk Like a Pirate Day is over, I'm going to use this when we do decimals! I really like the Secret Message idea also!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you like the math game, hope the kids enjoy the activity and the chance to be pirates! The kids really had fun with the secret message, I will definitely think of more ways to play with messages. Thank you for your message and feedback!

      Delete
  2. Thanks again for the math game! I love the decoding activity too. Isn't it nice to have a little fun with the kids this early in the year? Thanks so much for linking up my friend!

    Hunter's Teaching Tales
    Find me on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun and I was so thankful for a chance to let them have fun while learning. Thanks again for the great link and the reminder about the fun day! I am so glad you liked the game.

      Delete

I love to hear from my readers. Please leave your thoughts about the wonderful journey through teaching and life!