Sunday, June 15, 2014

Happy Father's Day

I grew up with just a mom, no dad. She did a spectacular job in raising my brother and I with a limited budget and all on her own.
My sons often ask, "Why isn't Grams married?" and "Where is your Dad?" 

Right now, they get a simple answer. When they are older, I will explain more about why he left us. It is too complicated for them to grasp at this point of their lives. 
I won't lie, growing up without a father was tough. Tough on my mom and tough on us, although for different reasons. My mom divorced in a time when it wasn't the norm, she was the first in her family to do so, and she is Catholic, that is a huge deal. It took a lot of courage to do it, but it was the right thing for her and she knew it was best for us. 
In doing so, she taught me a lot about life. I cannot change my oil nor do I have that "Daddy/Daughter" bond. But what I do have is a strong mom who gave me a life full of wonderful experiences. I am a strong, independent, and confident woman because of the lessons she taught me. I am thankful for her decision and know that the life I have is fulfilling because of her.
My family: Mom, Brother, and Me - Early 90's
I consider myself to be a lucky woman. I have a wonderful husband who travels through life along with me. He is a partner in the crazy adventures of parenthood! Together, we attempt to figure out how to raise caring boys in hopes of turning them in to giving men. 

When we first met, we connected over a shared experience, we are both children of divorce. Neither of our fathers had anything to do with us after the divorce. It was an intense first-date conversation, but I think it is one of the reasons we connected. 
His mom remarried, so he has a step-father, who did the best he could to be a dad. He is a wonderful and caring Papa to his energetic grandsons.  
Because we both know what it is like to miss our fathers, we work hard to provide a complete family for our sons. We want them to know they are loved by both of us. 
My husband is a great father. He teaches the boys how to make things, build things, create things, and is quite the role model! They absolutely adore him. He is fun, caring, loving, supportive, and playful! I am thankful to have him as my husband, and so glad that we get to be parents together! 
I hope that you are spending today with people that you love, enjoying some quality together time.  
Happy Father's Day! 

2 comments:

  1. Happy Father's Day to your mama, your hubby and the boys' Papa! I'm so happy to be with my dad for Father's Day. It's the first time in nine years we've been able to be together for this holiday. We went to church, ate some bacon and are heading out their friends' house for lunch. Sending you love today! XOXO
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I called my dad and sang to him. I'll be there next Father's Day!
    Angela
    Southern Fried Teachin’

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers. Please leave your thoughts about the wonderful journey through teaching and life!