Sunday, June 15, 2014

Meet Me Monday Week 3 & Me TIme Monday

I have thoroughly enjoyed linking up with The Teaching Tribune over the past 2 weeks and will continue to link up this week. 

For today's link, I am writing a letter to myself reflecting on the past year as a blogger. I believe that it is always good to look back at what you have accomplished to help set future goals and decide which path to travel in the future.
I have used this format with my students before right before our promotional tests, and it is amazing what connections the kids make, and how much they realize they have accomplished. I guess it is time for me to give a try at my own assignment. 

Since Monday is turning in to "all about me" day, I decided to link up with Amanda at One Extra Degree for the Me Time Monday party. 

During the summer, I switch gears and become "only" a full-time mom/wife. Even though I have less to do because I am not working my paid job, it is not like I sit around eating bon-bons watching soap operas. My days are pretty busy keeping the kids entertained! Because it is hectic raising a family, it is important that I find little ways to take care of myself so that everyone at home remains happy and sane! 
One thing I like to do it buy flowers for myself every once in a while. 
Check out these beautiful sunflowers I found on our grocery trip last week, they were the sunshine of my trip and every time I glance over at them, I smile. 
I don't know why, but for some reason I always thought that you need to go to the movies with at least 1 other person. Maybe it is because my mom never went to see one alone, and you often hear of people going out together. Well, recently I found myself with some time alone and I decided to go to the movies to see Maleficent
I loved the movie, Angelina Jolie did a GREAT job, and the movie was full of so many twists and turns. Of course, it strayed from the plot of Sleeping Beauty, but I did not care. I think the strong female role of both Malenficent and Aurora made me like it better! 
If you have never gone to the movies alone, let me tell you the perks:
  • You don't have to share the popcorn, and you can make it exactly the way you like it.
  • You are in the dark and can snack in privacy, shh don't tell my kids but I also had some candy!
  • You can cry and not have to wipe your tears to avoid that awkward moment when you realize the other person is not crying and you feel silly crying over a movie
  • You can pick whatever movie you want and won't feel judged, all the other people in the theater are there for the same show!
  • You can stay for the credits or not, your call.  
  • 2+ hours of alone time is relaxing and rejuvenating!
I really enjoyed the movie, and am actually looking forward to another opportunity to take in another movie by myself. I might go see The Fault In Our Stars on my own so I can sob like a baby. 
In our busy lives, taking time for ourselves can be quite refreshing. What have you done for yourself lately? 
Thanks again to the party hosts, The Teaching Tribune and One Extra Degree for the Monday party! Check them out and consider joining the fun! 

8 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your letter! I think that we've all had those thoughts go through our minds, and I'm sure that you will see that when you read others' letters. And the sunflowers are gorgeous! I think that I'm at the point where my flowers are established enough that I could risk cutting some of my own to bring inside. Fresh flowers are the best!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Diane! I think we are all a lot alike and blogging reinforces that! The more we share and collaborate, the more connected we feel! I wish I had fresh flowers worth cutting, my gardening skills are weak. I am not always patient nor do I know what will work well. My biggest success is that my strawberries grew back as did many of the plants in our butterfly garden. Of course the weeds really came back, and I hate weeding, so they are winning at the moment! Your flowers are so pretty, you ought to bring some in and put them in a vase!

      Delete
  2. Hi Laura,

    I enjoyed reading your letter! I can definitely relate to being pushed out of my comfort zone when I began blogging. It takes a lot of courage, but it's well worth it!

    -Christa
    Learnin' Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christa, it really has been a rewarding experience. I love being able to connect with other teachers. Thanks for your support!

      Delete
  3. This is BEAUTIFUL! You made me tear up reading it! I'm so proud of you! XOOX
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always have a way of validating my feelings and making me feel so welcome! Thank you for being a great friend and encouraging me to continue along with blogging journey! Love you! Laura

      Delete
  4. Great to meet you via the linky and totally endorse your view on pushing ourselves out of our comfort zones to become better bloggers. Over here in England, we are still getting on with the teaching until the last week of July!!! So am rather jealous of your long break and you being on holiday already. Have fun :) Teaching at Pempi's Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, the last week of July? Hopefully you will have a lengthy holiday to rejuvenate and enjoy some time for yourself!
      Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking time to leave a comment, I really appreciate the camaraderie and the support!

      Delete

I love to hear from my readers. Please leave your thoughts about the wonderful journey through teaching and life!