Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Worksheet Wednesday 6/4/2014

As much as we would all love to say we never use worksheets, it is virtually impossible to teach and assess without them. They are important, as long as there is a purpose behind them. They can be used as informal assessments or as a grade. 
I had a student this year who must have always been graded on worksheets because he always asked, "Is this going to be graded?" every time he received a worksheet. 
My answer was always a sarcastic "Yes," but then often followed with an explanation of, well, I am really wanting to see what you retained and if I think it shows me valid results then I will attach a grade. 
After a while, he stopped asking, especially because he realized worksheets were rare in our class and did not always equal a grade. To ease his anxiety, I told him in advance what I was grading, with the catch of, "Please do your best even if you don't think I am grading it."

Today's highlighted freebie includes a sheet that I used with my 5th graders when we worked on multiplying fractions. They had to know how to use so many different types of visuals, including repeated addition and number lines. For some reason, they really struggled with number lines, so this worksheet was great practice and helped me identify what they were confused about. 

This practice sheet is part of my Multiplication & Division with Fractions packet. The packet includes interactive notebook pages, practice sheets, task cards, story problems, and quizzes.

Hope you are able to find some use with this activity in your class, even if you don't choose to assign a grade to it! ;-)
Because I don't always read the blogs the day they are posted, I extended the 50% off deal until Wednesday 9 PM EST for those who are catching up a day late. Don't forget to swing by and snatch up these items at 50%, $1.50 each!

Don't forget to hop over to The Teaching Tribune for other free worksheets in today's link up.


Happy Summer Bloggin'

1 comment:

  1. I never EVER use worksheets....................I'm kidding! You are correct...it truly would be virtually impossible not to! My kids always ask if it's for a grade too. My response is always the same as yours! XO
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers. Please leave your thoughts about the wonderful journey through teaching and life!